Tuesday, September 20, 2011

When Japan releases classic RPG's, what and where are the South Koreans are playing?


Wild ARMs, Final Fantasy 6, and Xenogears, examples of many JRPG's that are considered and revered by many gamers around the world to be classics. I wonder and amazed, on how these Japanese game developers able to establish such story plots, great gameplay, and of course, the nostalgia value after years they went mainstream into the market, not to mention the replay value of these games. But that makes me wonder, with the boom of the online gaming business and many other shits, I wonder what are the South Koreans are playing back when these games are in their height of popularity? Sure they might have Starcraft, Warcraft and Counterstrike back then, but I asked some South Koreans if they played any "RPGs" prior to their "hit"(not actually a hit, it's pathetic) Ragnarok Online, almost all of them said that they don't know games that are from Japan.

So with that being said, it's really a startling discovery, I mean, I bet they didn't lay their eyes on consoles like NES, SNES, Playstation, Sega Saturn or other consoles, aside from Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii? That might be a prejudicial assumption, but thinking about it, they don't even heard of other classic games other than RPGs, like the first 4 Castlevania installments for the NES/SNES console, Double Dragon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc.? Hmmmm.... I really can't think of any other reasons why they don't really know about these games, and it is a shock for me. Because right now, there are many South Koreans living in the Philippines nowadays, and they are quite good at Filipino's favorite game, DOTA, and games like Starcraft, Warcraft, and even Tekken 6(I'm not expert so don't give me an invitation for a game ok?), and people in the gaming community know the South Koreans for their online games, and that's it, aside from having the laziest citizens in the world(ask the statistics, then be the judge).

Again, this is only based on my observation, and if you're curious, if you know any South Koreans, ask them if they know any games aside from the games they grew up with. It's not that hard, and besides, if they answer the same statement that I presented, then I might be right. But thank goodness I grew up playing the games that are nostalgic and very memorable, and that what makes a game a classic. Always take care, and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment